We pride ourselves on connecting you with the best products for natural living. Products that, we believe, are good for you and your family, and can help you reduce your impact on the environment (compared to products that don't meet our standard.)
Before we carry a product, we review the description provided by the vendor to determine that its materials and ingredients are organic, natural or made mostly from sustainable materials, or that the product is energy efficient, water efficient, reusable, designed to remove toxins or powered by renewable energy.
The products we carry must fall into at least one of the following categories based on our review of the vendor's product description:
- 1. Natural:
- Grocery Products & Nutritional Supplements: These products are made primarily of natural ingredients with minimal processing. Natural ingredients are extracted directly from plants or animals as opposed to being made synthetically. In addition, these products do not contain any substances on our Banned Ingredients List.
- Personal Care, Beauty, Cleaning & Baby Care Products: These products are made primarily of plant-based, naturally-derived and non-petroleum ingredients, pure essential oils and gentle preservatives. They do not contain any substances on our Banned Ingredients List.
2. Organic: These products are certified USDA Organic or made with at least 95% organic ingredients or materials, meaning, they are produced without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, GMOs or radiation.
3. Designed to Remove Toxins: These products are specifically designed to purify air or water. We believe they contribute to a healthier home by reducing toxins in the air or water.
4. Energy Efficient: These products are either ENERGY STAR qualified or specifically designed to promote energy conservation. Examples include programmable thermostats and CFL lightbulbs. According to the ENERGY STAR program, qualified products use 10 to 50% less energy than average, non-rated products in the same category.
5. Made Mostly from Sustainable Materials: These products are made with at least 50% materials that are rapidly renewable, responsibly harvested or require no new raw materials in their manufacture. Examples include mechanically-processed bamboo, cork, wool, soy, hemp, organic cotton, corn-based plastic, sustainably-harvested wood or recycled, reclaimed, reused or upcycled materials.
6. Powered by Renewable Energy: These products generate, or are powered by, renewable energy. Renewable energy comes from natural resources such as sunlight, wind, water or even humans. It is considered naturally replenishable, has no limited supply and can be used over and over.
7. Reusable: These products reduce waste by promoting reuse. If possible, we will include reusable products that are also made of natural, organic, recyclable or compostable materials.
8. Water Efficient: These products are either WaterSense® qualified or specifically designed to promote water conservation. Examples include rain barrels, low-flow sprinklers and faucet aerators.) According to the WaterSense® program, qualified are products at least 20% more water efficient than average products in the same category.
Read more about terms you may come across on our site in our Glossary .